I went to school yesterday and today.

It was weird.

Those of us who are considered support staff were asked to be at school every day this week to help pass out leftover supplies and school work to the school kids and their families. It is arranged that staff, wearing masks, will be standing outside at the bus zone for parents to stop in and receive the supplies, return library books, or ask any questions.

I honestly felt as useless during this process as I have trying to join in and work from home. My on-line connection while living in the country is slow and spotty at best, so joining in on zoom meetings and such has proved to be a real challenge. Possible at times, impossible at other times.

At least I got to see a few of the kids from our kindergarten class yesterday. Today I mostly took down bulletin boards and organized and cleaned things in the classroom. We are only expected to be there until noon, and even that is a stretch for me because without the children, there is only so much an assistant like myself can find to do to keep busy.

On the home front, I have been consumed by the animals and kids. First there was the filming of the virtual field trip on the farm and that was a lot of fun.  It turned out quite well, too. I will post that on our page eventually.

Then, Megan begged to be able to play with one of her friends again.  We said yes and so did the other parents. We can only keep our kids cooped up for so long, and play they did!  They practiced bow and arrow shooting, they danced and pretended to make music videos out in the field, they dressed goth and went for a walk...(Yes that last part actually happened and no kidding, I am laughing out loud as I type this.  Imagine the neighbors driving down gravel roads in the middle of nowhere and rolling past two kids dressed in black, and looking like grim reapers.) 

Still laughing.

Anyway, I have also been trying desperately to not give up on Chewy.  He is now on a strict regimen of diet and meds which requires care from sun up to sun down. His hay must be soaked before eating at all times. He gets Insulinwise powder sprinkled in the wet hay twice daily, which he does not like so I have to be very diligent in hiding it. He also receives a tablet of Prascend once daily and needs regular grooming and hoof care. Depending on the day, he wears boots on his front hooves.  

When he came to me, he was so debilitated that we called him the 3 legged pony because he would not put any weight on his front left foot. I honestly wasn't sure he would survive!
 Then he seemed to get better and he even trotted around a few times.  It's on video or I wouldn't believe it at this point.
Then he went back downhill and I knew there was more to him than meets the eye so I re-vetted him for blood work, thanks to lovely people who donated for him.
That's how I learned (but already suspected by this time) that he has Cushing's Disease.  

You would think that would be enough, right?

But now I am learning there is even more I can do to aid in his rehabilitation.  It requires a stricter diet of safe, low sugar hay, and I will need to mix his "hard feed" twice daily.  Hard feed will consist of roughly a quarter cup of chaff, salt, vitamins and minerals, pro-biotics and pre-biotics, pumpkin seeds, and chia seeds, mixed with a little bit of water. To top it off, there is a natural pill called Nrf2 that I have been researching. It can help the fight against inflammation and is a hormone that can help regulate Chewy's moods and appetite during rehab.  

I am actually exhausted while writing this so I will let you do your own research if you are interested in learning more about Nrf2 or this special diet plan, but I would be happy to answer any of your questions if you reach out to me.  I figure with all that Chewy has been through, and yet he still doesn't have complete relief, this is worth a try because people with laminitic ponies swear by it!  It also helps humans and other animals. 

It is time for me to sign off now and go and get some housework done, plus Megan is waiting on me in hopes that I will help her find her tablet pen. 

Feel free to follow along with us on InstagramFacebook, and YouTube.

Until next time, take care, stay safe, and love everyone including yourself!

Amy Darr
3 Corners Farm
Mosier Or., U.S.A.