Hello!  Yes, you read that title correctly.  Yesterday, August 19th, marks the day we signed papers last year on this little empty manufactured home with a chicken coop and yellow jackets everywhere. There were no gardens, no pasture, and no extra hay buildings.  

There was no wood stove and no white picket fence. (There was a picket fence but it wasn't white, haha!)

Chicken Coop

It was a giant leap of faith and it was also hard to leave our previous house behind.

So much has happened since then that's it's indescribable. I guess it's been a good thing I have been blogging some of the experiences so I can always look back and remember this way. 

So...I shared of our well in my last blog experience I believe.  That was a fright having to face the possible need to dig deeper or dig a new well if it had gone dry, but it ended up being a pump issue.  Phew!  Well digging averted. For now at least.  

Thankfully, we were somewhat prepared in case this issue ever happened and we have two 500 gallon tanks that we were able to haul some water in with to use on gardens and livestock. 

We have a separate large quantity stash of water bottles for human and house use. My recommendation is to always be prepared for emergencies so your family has enough to get by on, even if just for a little while so you can figure things out.

Then last Wednesday evening, we saw smoke down the gravel road from us. Now, let me tell you something. This was BIG smoke. Moving smoke. Thick smoke, and it was coming right at us! Travis texted I and the kids that there was a fire so we all went outside to have a look.  I remember us all standing at the end of our driveway looking out at it's madness.  We were all very, very quiet.

Then I said to Travis, "What do you think?"

He said, "Let's go!"

After that was a blur of activity. I gave the kids instructions to pack a back pack each of clothes and basic toiletries. They grabbed sleeping bags and bedding stuff, a few other things, and phones, chargers, etc. 

They were troopers because we have 3 vehicles and they went back and forth, loading stuff up. They then got supplies for the dogs and Megan helped me get the cat from up at the top our walk-in-closet and we crated her.

By this time there was a knock on our door from an officer telling us we needed to leave.  There were cars and trucks and vans, loaded to the gills, passing by the pasture on the gravel roads.  There were water tankers and trucks with sirens. There were trucks pulling boats and RV trailers... 

I was prepared to walk out my horse and pony up the road to a nearby pasture to get them out of harms way. Our son Trevor could drive his brother and sister out.  Travis was hitching our small horse trailer and had the goat in it. 

He told me friends were on their way with their horse trailer for Willow and Chewy.  So...eventually they were loaded and off they went with all the other evacuees. They were good horses and walked right in without a fuss. Travis must have called those people because I sure didn't.  I was too busy with the kids!

Megan and I followed in my car with the cat.  Trevor took his brother, Blake, in his car with the dogs and followed me. Travis came behind them with the trailer and the goat. It was quite an experience. 

The horses and goat ended up staying at a stable in The Dalles with the people who picked them up, and the kids and other pets went with us to Hood River where we stayed with Travis's Aunt Shelly and family. The two horses were in a round pen together and Clover the goat stayed in our little trailer like a stall.  It wasn't ideal but they were safe and that's what mattered.

Aunt Shelly and her family were so lovely to us. They spoiled us and cooked us food.  They let us have our dogs and cat in their space and let us take showers. Of course they would, right?  That's what family does.  But I have never been more humbled in my life. If we are open to it, we can learn valuable lessons in life all the time, and this was one of those times.

We were lucky enough to go back home 3 days later, even though we were still at a level 3 evacuation notice. We felt it was safe and we had chickens and a rabbit left behind to check on. Luckily they were fine. The gardens were fine, the house was fine, and the neighbors were fine. 

Last night, exactly one week later, there was another fire on our hill! It burned 100 acres of dry grass but was then quickly under control. Thankfully there were still firefighters in the area.

I am still exhausted by this whole experience, even knowing we have always talked about and prepped for this situation. Firefighters are amazing and brave, especially when you see the work they do firsthand!  If we had needed to re-build, we would do so with gratitude, but thankfully we get to count our blessings and just move forward. 

There were a few hiccups along the way, but we made it through and all is well now. Even the horses and goat were troopers!  Travis and I left the kids in Hood River to drive to The Dalles several times just to make sure that the horses and goat were ok, but they had kind people caring for and watching over them, so they were alright. 

It was not an ideal situation, but beggars can't be choosers.  Chewy (the pony) had an issue where his eyes swelled up and became very inflamed after the first day but it ended up that all he needed was a fly mask.

I truly hope all of you reading this can get through life without ever having to experience such an incident as this, but it also brings into clear perspective that there are still wonderful people in the world and we can overcome anything when we ban together.

Feel free to follow along with us on InstagramFacebook, and YouTube.  

There are always many adventures on our little farm! I end this blog post with gratitude and prayers for all.

Blessings from,

Amy at 3 Corners Farm

Mosier, Or. U.S.A.